Saturday, March 27, 2010

Food of the Week - Asparagus

Week of March 22 – 28
THE WORLD’S HEALTHIEST FOODS
Food of the Week - Asparagus



5-Minute Healthy Sautéed Asparagus

Ingredients:
1 lb asparagus
3 TBS low-sodium chicken or vegetable
broth
1 clove of garlic








Directions:
Chop or press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes to
enhance its health-promoting properties.


Heat 3 TBS broth over medium heat in a stainless steel skillet.
While broth is heating, snap off the woody bottom of asparagus stems, then cut the spears into 2-inch lengths. Cutting them into short pieces of equal length ensures quick, even cooking.
When broth begins to steam, add asparagus. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. The outside will be tender and the inside will be crisp. Thinner spears will take about 3 minutes. "Healthy Sauté" will concentrate both the flavor and nutrition of asparagus.
I added some salt and pepper and also some sliced almonds. It was so yummy!!! And healthy too!!

2 comments:

Take The Cake Decorating said...

I've never had asparagus, but this looks really easy, so we will have to try it! Thanks!

Nikki McCallum said...

Hey Martha! I've tried making asparagus 4 times and they're always too soggy. I thought you were supposed to peel those spikey things off. I posted about it once on my blog.

http://mccallummemoirs.blogspot.com/2010/03/asparagus.html

Maybe they will turn out better your way!