Tonight I made Louisiana Gumbo from the Homemade Gourmet mix. First and foremost....Yummy!!!!!! (Sorry no pictures. I forgot to insert the little blue thinga-majiggy. I am sure it has an official name!!)
*****
First cook your rice!! I almost forgot to make the rice!! My rice take about 30 minutes, so I like to start it before I start anything else.
*****
Get the ingredients ready.
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 pound smoked link sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices (I used the whole package of smoked sausage. The folks in the Palmer household like their meat!!)
1 Homemade Gourmet Louisiana Gumbo Mix
4 cups of water
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, un-drained (I used Rotel)
8 ounces of frozen cut okra
(I also added about 2 cups of chopped collard greens. Collard greens are the food of the week on my Healthiest Food website. They are a great source of calcium. They are full of Vitamins K,A&C. Plus they are low in calories!! I added them to my soup last week and loved them!!!)
*****
Add the oil to a 4-quart pot. Add chicken and sausage. Cook on medium heat for 7 minutes. The aroma from the cooking chicken and sausage was mouth-watering!!
*****
Add Homemade Gourmet mix and water. I added another 1/2 Cup of water since I was adding extra collard greens. I added the Collard greens at this point so they would be nice and tender. Bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
*****
Add Rotel and okra. Continue cooking for 5 minutes. (Don't overcook the okra or it will become gummy)
*****
Then serve over rice. I topped it with homemade croutons. It was delicious!!!!!
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment